I hear that goals should be SMART goals.
For me, I actually don’t follow this principle. I reach for things that I don’t even know when I’m going to reach them, or if I’m going to reach them. I call them future visions, not goals.
I know this is a bit backward thinking from what every goal setting or motivational speaker says, but for me, it works. I go for things that are way out there, far-fetched, or what most people think is doubtful and unbelievable in their eyes because of its a stretch in people’s vision.
I have them in my mind and this is what I reach for, but to get there I go through baby steps/goals. The first step is to start with a blank canvas. The second is to focus on internal goals that you can control. Not the things that are out of your control.
Many times with goals We want to do it – we are capable of doing it – but we don’t do it. Because of parts problem. Our parts – head, heart, and body needs to work together in alignment.
Start with a Blank Canvas
You see what happens is most of us create goals that are based on a painting – that painting is already composed partly from the past in our life. We already have a notion of what we may achieve or is possible. This creates barriers.
Instead of starting with a fresh canvas to create a new picture for our life or goals, we erase things or paint over the current painting because this is much easier for us humans. It’s natural for us to want to take the easier path. That’s just nature. So the first way I look at it is to start with a blank canvas.
Write them Down and Make Them Internal
Write down your goals! It helps you visualize them. But more importantly, do not shoot for goals that are outside of your control. For example, to win 1st place at the US Open whether its tennis, golf, or dancing. You have no control over this whether you win or lose is determined based on external factors in that moment. What you do have control over is if you are able to go and run 5 miles 3 days a week, which will help your tennis game.
That’s just my quick personal take. But here are my resolutions for 2013 that will help me achieve my big visions. They are fairly simple and practical and I aim to achieve these ALL!
- Visit 2 countries I have not been to
- Read one new book each month
- Exercise 2x a week on an intense level (P90x / Insanity)
- Buy 5 people lunch or dinner at a restaurant randomly who I do not know
- Release three more multi-disk video courses
- Host one major / legendary seminar / workshop
- Attend a seminar from one of my mentors
- Post a new blog post each week
- Post one new video each month
- Write a 2nd book and publish it on Amazon
Things I never set goals for are things such as monetary goals since money is an exchange and can only be earned or acquired when contributing and adding value to people’s lives. In addition, I stay away from goals that are related to someones boundary i.g. get person xyz to like me more. (Things that are external and out of my control as mentioned above).
My Visions, on the other hand, are external and will I ever get there? I do not know, but I will leave that for a future discussion.
Vision for the World in 2013?
- Plenty of work, but the economy will suffer hard – unemployment will still be high
- Jobs will be focused more towards mental and educational versus manual labor
- Worsening economic crisis shows little sign of ending – the dollar will begin to end as world’s reserve currency. (2015-2019 possible riots and protests? like in the 1940-1960’s)
- Birth of a Royal Baby by Kate Middleton will be huge news with much buzz
- More touch sensors and non-touch sensors will appear such as Leap Motions hand recognition
- Internet will reach more people than television
- Google Glass will be available to developers
For now, I will let you have fun with your imagination so if you have goals you would like to share, I would love to hear about them below.
Resources & Helpful Tools